New user, Looking for initial guidance

6 replies

David Thompson

Subscriber, bbp_participant, 0 replies.

Visit profile

4 years ago #248359

I am new to SQ and do like it. Actually it’s a very powerful and comprehensive system, it’s just what powerful servers were originally designed for, number crunching!

Although I do appreciate the long term outlook should be for small regular profits over many years ( and I hope to build a portfolio of 10+ EAs over time to do this), I wanted to explore any ideas to run the builder to create much shorter / faster trading.  I know scalping is sometimes frowned upon, and I’m not really looking to scalp, but I was hoping I could get some help/guidance to at least explore this avenue

SQ pre-sales chat suggested this was possible, and there are SQ EAs that are profitable ‘rapid trading’ systems.

I’ve just build a 64 core, dual Xeon server (32 core with HT) so I should be able to run builder very quickly (~250k/hr) to at least see what faster trader systems may look like.

If anyone here can give me some guidance to set up the builder in the correct manner, especially ‘building blocks’, with the anticipated outcome of seeing a high frequency of profitable trades it would be appreciated.  I’m happy to share back the results.  I know this is going to be a long journey, but I have the time, hardware and determination to find success.  Just a little early guidance would be appreciated

Many thanks in anticipation

tomas262

Administrator, sq-ultimate, 2 replies.

Visit profile

4 years ago #248400

Hello,

you will surely need to go for fast profits and small stop-loss i.e. use smaller values for SL and PT (ideally 1:1 ratio or less). Also prefer stop orders instead of market orders. On low timeframes entering on bar close is too obvious for all market participants. I believe that lower timeframe you go more “chaos” and randomness you encounter. I would say standard indicators will have troubles providing some significant edge on such a low timeframe epsecially with high # of trades.

Another thing you could try is to build simple templates using AlgoWizard to trade for example: 1) fast reversals or 2) trade off higher timeframe Highs/Lows etc. This of course requires bit of “idea first” approach

I would like to emphasize that trying to get a highly profitable system with high # of trades on M5 for example and a single market is very hard to achieve. Do not focus on # of trades but rather build a stable system on M5 that will perform across multiple markets and build portfolio that will help you get significant number of operations.

Lee Wai Chong

Subscriber, customer, community, bbp_participant, 0 replies.

Visit profile

4 years ago #248887

I am also a new user, i am putting the SQ at 16 cores 64gb ram server, but it seems like quite difficult to generate a really good strategy. especially if Profit Factor 2.5 and above.

tomas262

Administrator, sq-ultimate, 2 replies.

Visit profile

4 years ago #248911

Lee,

with higher number of trades and from single strategy perspective such high profit factor is generally hard to achieve (do not say impossible) in the long run. But from a portfolio perspective it is a lot easier when you diversify across various assets. Your focus should be primarily on minimizing risk with an each individual strategy and also with porfolio when you trade close forex pairs (consider market correlation) or stocks for example. BUt other might share their different views on the problem

hankeys

Customer, bbp_participant, community, sq-ultimate, 487 replies.

Visit profile

4 years ago #248920

I am also a new user, i am putting the SQ at 16 cores 64gb ram server, but it seems like quite difficult to generate a really good strategy. especially if Profit Factor 2.5 and above.

focus for maximize the PF is not the right way, i have set filter for PF as minimum for 1.3 value and my best strategy so far has PF 1.88

yes, you can find strategies with bigger PF, but mostly they will have BIG open drawdown

better to focus to maximize RDD

You want to be a profitable algotrader? We started using StrateQuant software in early 2014. For now we have a very big knowhow for building EAs for every possible types of markets. We share this knowhow, apps, tools and also all final strategies with real traders. If you want to join us, fill in the FORM.

Gianfranco

Subscriber, bbp_participant, customer, community, 114 replies.

Visit profile

4 years ago #248942

P.F.    2.5  or above   finally  strategies   …?don’t look at what they sell online   if you want I give you thousands of free strategies in backtests even higher … probably in real they don’t go   who knows’?

Gianfranco

Subscriber, bbp_participant, customer, community, 114 replies.

Visit profile

4 years ago #248945

this is an example of easy illusions, obviously in real it is not so … otherwise I would be rich

Attachments:
You must be logged in to view attached files.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)