Reversing the trades on a loosing strategy

3 replies

ivan

Subscriber, bbp_participant, community, 236 replies.

Visit profile

2 years ago #275060

I would like to start this discussion by pointing out that i dont have any new or interesting results or ideas to share. My idea is to concentrate here all the possible ideas from experienced traders here and from the SQ developing team.
The idea of reversing or inverting the trades of a loosing system is older than the SQ software, probably from the days of manual trading, based on a very simple thought that if you are doing something wrong or loosing, do the opposite.
On the internet, one can find mentions and discussions older than 15 years. Most of them point out that the idea put into practice simply doesnt work, but these were manual systems, not expert advisors.
Recently, from my huge pile of loosing strategies, some of those brought back this thought because they had even 40 consecutive loosing trades.
To get to the point, i would like to ask if anyone here including SQ team members if anyone had tried, experimented recently with strategies generated with SQ, to reverse the trades.
I would like to do an experiment of my own, and this is the second question, how exactly can the trades be edited to be reversed in SQ strategies? because i never tried to edit anything so far

Timisoara, Romania
3900X 3.8 Ghz 12 cores, 64GB RAM DDR4 3000Mhz, Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 NVMe

ivan

Subscriber, bbp_participant, community, 236 replies.

Visit profile

2 years ago #275065

i forgot to mention something relevant

on the internet, some traders use the term “reversing” to something different than to replace BUY with SELL and viceversa, like in this thread:

Reversing: The holy grail or a dangerous delusion? – MQL5 Articles

Timisoara, Romania
3900X 3.8 Ghz 12 cores, 64GB RAM DDR4 3000Mhz, Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 NVMe

Dimitar Genov

Subscriber, bbp_participant, 1 replies.

Visit profile

2 years ago #275076

Hi, Ivan.

First, sorry for my bad English.

You’re right, this concept is old as the world. Based on my 15+ years experience, I can say this:

1. When we reverse the existing strategy, we lose an additional 2 spreads on each trade.

2. Making a very losing (in pips) strategy is difficult, just like a winning strategy.
In conclusion, аs we know, 95+% of traders are losers. Why? Because, first they trade manually, where there are emotions and side factors. Second, wrong MM. And third, they have taken a strategy from the internet that they have heard is “profitable”, or they’ve had their own strategy and hope to win. But in reality, this strategy does not contain the edge we are looking for. Their trades are random and they lose in the long run. Everyone can try the following: completely random trades (without rules), no matter what SL and TP are. After a sufficient number of trades, the balance curve will go south at the “speed of the spread (+ commission)”. And here StrategyQuant helps us to find our own edge to beat the market.

Kris

Subscriber, bbp_participant, 16 replies.

Visit profile

2 years ago #275419

Hi,

If I understand you correctly, you’re thinking of converting buying to selling and vice versa – no, that doesn’t work.

Cheers

Kris

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)