(sqx) Reading Guidelines

14 replies

Sheena Alombro

Subscriber, bbp_participant, 9 replies.

Visit profile

3 years ago #268318

Hi. I am new to StrategyQuant, and would like to know how to properly read the sqx coding.

I am trying to convert it to pine script coding in Tradingview but they don’t match according to how I am reading it. Any advice? Or suggestions for me to understand the sqx generated strategies fully?

tomas262

Administrator, sq-ultimate, 2 replies.

Visit profile

3 years ago #268369

Hello,

what coding are you referring to? The pseudo code or Java code or any other? Let me know

kasinath

Subscriber, bbp_participant, customer, community, sq-ultimate, 112 replies.

Visit profile

3 years ago #268378

Sheena, I did much of this recently: I was converting SQX strategies to Pinescript.

You should look at the pseudocode version of your SQX strategy, and then look in the pinescript documents on how to implement it.

Sheena Alombro

Visit profile

3 years ago #268381

Thank you for the response. Yes I am doing it like that. But wanted to make sure I am reading it right because they do not match.

Sheena Alombro

Visit profile

3 years ago #268382

Hello,

what coding are you referring to? The pseudo code or Java code or any other? Let me know

—-

I am referring to pine script codes. Thank you for the response, hopefully you can help me.

Sheena Alombro

Visit profile

3 years ago #268384

I am referring to pine script codes. Thank you for the response, hopefully you can help me.

kasinath

Visit profile

3 years ago #268386

There is no pinescript generated from SQX.

Only MQL, Easylanguage, Pseudocode, and now Java with version 130.  See screen shot.

What you need to do is first read the Pseudocode text, understand it. Then you will write a new pinescript, manually, by hand. The pseudocode is there as a guide to help you write the pinescript.

Attachments:
You must be logged in to view attached files.

Jason

Customer, bbp_participant, sq-ultimate, 69 replies.

Visit profile

3 years ago #268387

@Sheena

Basically the pseudocode is there as an easy on the eye code script that’s as close to understandable english as possible so you can read the logic of the algorithm produced by SQX. You can then implement this in any language code of your choosing but obviously you need the detailed programming knowledge of that code to be able to ‘translate’ it.

The pseudo code wont match anything in itself.

When you say it doesn’t match are you referring to the backtest results not matching between the two platforms?

Sheena Alombro

Visit profile

3 years ago #268393

Yes I am using this.

Sheena Alombro

Visit profile

3 years ago #268394

Yes. Results of backtest in two platforms are not the same. Maybe I am doing the code wrong. I was hoping there is a guideline on how to properly read it than interpreting it on my own.

Jason

Customer, bbp_participant, sq-ultimate, 69 replies.

Visit profile

3 years ago #268401

Ah ok the results not matching is whole other topic for which you will find many posts on the forum.

The coding might not necessarily be the problem. Even the code that SQX produces itself for MT5 or Tradestation for example can give very different results once uploaded into the trading platforms. There a multitude of reasons that can cause this:

– differences in data being used

-slippage

-spread

-commissions & swaps

thats not an exhaustive list but you get my point.

Sheena Alombro

Visit profile

3 years ago #268425

Yes, got it. By the way this is the strategy I am trying to backtest in a different platform.

Can you try interpret it?  As a starter with strategyquant, this will help me a lot to understand sqx better and maybe see if I did interpreted it wrong.

Attachments:

kasinath

Visit profile

3 years ago #268430

1. Can you pls share the different screen shots?
  2. I also converted a BTC strategy to pinescript. Give me some time and I will share this with you later today.

Sheena Alombro

Visit profile

3 years ago #268440

Here. Yes would appreciate a lot for your help. Thank you.

Attachments:

kasinath

Visit profile

3 years ago #268444

Hi, I mean screenshots of your test results.  So we can see how they are different.

There could be many reasons though. For example, money management is very different in Pinescript.

I have attached some sample code for you.  One file is the pseudocode from SQX, and the other is the converted Pinescript.

I hope this will help.

Attachments:

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)