The best solution for now ( Hardware or VPS? )

6 replies

Row

Customer, bbp_participant, sq-ultimate, 12 replies.

Visit profile

1 year ago #278296

Hi, I’m about to buy Strategyquant (I was really happy with the trial)
I’m considering how to get around the hardware.
At the moment I only have a laptop that has 8GB of ram, an 8th generation i7 processor. It produces around 10600 strategies / hour, I know that’s not a lot, but at the moment I would like to wait a moment before buying a much more powerful desktop computer.
So I have two options and I would like some advice (because I have read conflicting opinions looking in the forum):
1) to produce all day instead of just night, I buy a 170 euro mini pc just to surf the internet and answer chats, and for the rest I let strategy quant work on my laptop day and night (which I don’t turn off even now never for years).
2) or I rent a vps, as for example I saw that a PC similar to mine for rent would cost me 20-30 euros per month.
In your experience, what would be the optimal solution between these two?

tomas262

Administrator, sq-ultimate, 2 replies.

Visit profile

1 year ago #278464

I would upgrade your RAM memory to at least 16GB if possible.
Then learn using SQ as much as possible to prepare configurations that you will transfer to your high-end VPS just for the hard CPU work.

You can use Google cloud for example. You pay only the time when the VPS is active and used

Judith galindo

Subscriber, bbp_participant, 1 replies.

Visit profile

1 year ago #279896

Tengo el mismo problema, tengo un portátil de 8gb y al utilizar el constructor se me calienta muchísimo.

Iba a renovar el pc pero me han recomendado que coja un VPS para dejarlo 24h buscando estrategias y hacer pruebas de robustez.

Realmente se puede usar VPS para el constructor y pruebas de robustez? Hay personas que dicen que vps solo sirve para poner el ea en metatrader …

Row

Customer, bbp_participant, sq-ultimate, 12 replies.

Visit profile

1 year ago #279926

Please, write in english 🙂
A vps is not good, if you want a remote solution you have to buy a dedicated server. The vps has limited power and is shared with other users, you will not be able to use it 100%.
In the end, I chose to buy a pc. Dedicated server with good specs it’s at high price monthly.I plan on switching to the server anyway when I get results with SQX to spend the money.

KarenJames

Subscriber, bbp_participant, 2 replies.

Visit profile

11 months ago #282077

I wanted to offer my two cents on the question of hardware vs VPS for running Strategyquant. I know this answer is coming in a bit late, but hopefully, it can help others who might have the same question. In my research, I recently stumbled upon an ishosting webpage, which could be a helpful option for VPS hosting.

KarenJames

Visit profile

11 months ago #282081

Hey there! Thanks for sharing your experience with CloudWays. I’ve been on the hunt for a high-performance hosting solution myself, and your post has been super helpful. I appreciate the detailed breakdown of your CloudWays configuration for SilverStripe hosting. It’s always great to see how other developers have configured their setups.

Doma Popa

Subscriber, bbp_participant, 1 replies.

Visit profile

11 months ago #282082

Hi guys! Thank you for this thread.

Julian

Visit profile

8 months ago #283272

Hi, Do you need a VPS to run your EAs? I have a 6GB RAM computer, I know if this will do or I need to buy a VPS.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)