15% performance-boost and 40% less memory-usage using GraalVM

82 replies

geektrader

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 522 replies.

Visit profile

4 years ago #257329

Hi 🙂

I just wanted to share my “new” find. As always, I am exploring options about how to increase the speed of SQX for my daily workflow by tuning parameters, garbage collectors, etc. Lately, I´ve learned about GraalVM, which is a relatively new JIT-compiler that has maximum performance as its goal and has been shown sometimes to be up to 30x faster than if executing code in the standard JRE / OpenJDK runtimes that SQX is using right now. Over here is an excellent video about how it works, why it has been made and with some performance tests: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GinNxS3OSi0 For example: Twitter is running all their Java stuff on GraalVM instead of JRE / OpenJDK for a while now and have noticed a considerable drop in CPU and RAM usage.

And now the great part: using it with SQX is as easy as downloading the latest Windows binary from here https://github.com/graalvm/graalvm-ce-builds/releases

Simply unpack the ZIP file into the J64 of SQX (previously delete or rename the folder) and just continue working with SQX as you always did. Personally here is what I have experienced since replacing it and of course, using the same settings in SQX as before:

– about a 15% performance increase in strategy generation speed

– approximately a 40% drop in memory consumption (which is AMAZING given that I can now work with less RAM)

– no errors or crashes of SQX just works the same as with JRE / OpenJDK

As this is open-source, I would highly recommend that SQX is being shipped with GraalVM in its default configuration, as this seems to be amazing!  There also is an Enterprise Edition available that seems to be even faster, but it´s 193 Euro/year and I haven´t tested it yet.

Have fun crunching strategies 😉

🚀 Unlock Your Edge in Automated Forex Strategy Development 🚀

Historical Forex Data Starting From 1987, 28 Pairs, M1, 99% Error-Free, Lifetime Free Updates

Gianfranco

Subscriber, bbp_participant, customer, community, 114 replies.

Visit profile

4 years ago #257397

default setting   cpu …liquid cooler

geektrader

Visit profile

4 years ago #257398

Still, temperatures are OK if using GraalVM? Did you monitor, especially your CPU clock under full load?

Historical Forex Data Starting From 1987, 28 Pairs, M1, 99% Error-Free, Lifetime Free Updates

ivan

Subscriber, bbp_participant, community, 236 replies.

Visit profile

4 years ago #257399

i have a 3700X and i will also test and record the hardware and software performance

maybe it would be a good idea for some of you to create a configuration file and run for one or 2 days to make sure we measure the same thing, of course this will take a few days to run the same configuration file on 2 different types of software and record the results

Timisoara, Romania
3900X 3.8 Ghz 12 cores, 64GB RAM DDR4 3000Mhz, Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 NVMe

Threshold

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 723 replies.

Visit profile

4 years ago #257403

Excellent contribution as always Greektrader.

alanhere

Subscriber, customer, community, bbp_participant, sq-ultimate, 87 replies.

Visit profile

4 years ago #257551

This is a free performance upgrade

Before

After

Time per strategy.. 7ms faster which means I’m getting 27% increase in performance.. AMAZING!

ivan

Subscriber, bbp_participant, community, 236 replies.

Visit profile

3 years ago #257646

I have made a few superficial tests on the 3700X

with the naked eye, the improvements are a bit less than 10%, barely visible

i speculate that the improvements could be proportional with the power of the processor

in any case, many thanks to geektrader for his valuable contribution

Timisoara, Romania
3900X 3.8 Ghz 12 cores, 64GB RAM DDR4 3000Mhz, Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 NVMe

hankeys

Customer, bbp_participant, community, sq-ultimate, 487 replies.

Visit profile

3 years ago #257649

for me the improvement is only with Eneterprise version

You want to be a profitable algotrader? We started using StrateQuant software in early 2014. For now we have a very big knowhow for building EAs for every possible types of markets. We share this knowhow, apps, tools and also all final strategies with real traders. If you want to join us, fill in the FORM.

geektrader

Visit profile

3 years ago #257650

Memory usage is about half for me regardless if normal or enterprise edition, compared to OpenJDK, JRE, etc.

David

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 15 replies.

Visit profile

3 years ago #260099

+15% for me Thank you, slight Temp increase (0.5) on CPU but is expected.

gin

Subscriber, bbp_participant, 88 replies.

Visit profile

3 years ago #260170

introducing new java compiler will lead to new unforeseen bugs and glitches in SQ

are you sure it is a good idea?

geektrader

Visit profile

3 years ago #260297

There will be no new bugs nor glitches if switching your JRE, as they are all 100% compatible.

geektrader

Visit profile

3 years ago #260303

By the way, make sure to use the latest GraalVM Enterprise Edition (just need to register a free account with Oracle), it´s been updated numerous times this year already. Download is here: https://www.oracle.com/downloads/graalvm-downloads.html

Make sure to select the “Current Release” at the upper tab, then select J”ava Version” to 11 and select the latest “Release Version”.

Have fun 🙂

clonex / Ivan Hudec

Customer, bbp_participant, community, sq-ultimate, contributor, author, editor, 271 replies.

Visit profile

3 years ago #260319

<p style=”text-align: left;”>gentleman’s we need new threadrippers with 128 threads???
3800 eur. anyway happy to see this AMD resurrection!!!!

hankeys

Customer, bbp_participant, community, sq-ultimate, 487 replies.

Visit profile

3 years ago #260479

i tried newest Enterprise v. graalvm-ee-java11-windows-amd64-20.1.1

with no luck – SQX129 will not run with it

so i am using this version graalvm-ee-java11-windows-amd64-20.0.0

You want to be a profitable algotrader? We started using StrateQuant software in early 2014. For now we have a very big knowhow for building EAs for every possible types of markets. We share this knowhow, apps, tools and also all final strategies with real traders. If you want to join us, fill in the FORM.

geektrader

Visit profile

3 years ago #260480

I am running SQX129 with 20.1.1, no issues here. Whats the error you are getting?

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 82 total)

1 2 3 4 5 6