What type of computer specifications do you all have?

71 replies

phild

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 34 replies.

Visit profile

9 years ago #112274

Hi all,

My current computer specifications are as follows:

Intel Core i5-2400 SPU @ 3.10Ghz

8.00 GB RAM

2 Hard Drives – SSD 60GB & 1TB HDD

I think that this is a little bit slow and am looking at buying a new computer to generate strategies faster.

I was thinking about the following computer (as it is within my price range):

Intel Core i7 4790 Quad 3.6GHz

32GB DDR3 RAM

120GB SSD 3TB HDD

Upgrade CPU Cooler to Water Liquid Cooling System (dual fan radiator)

Upgrade to 750W Power Supply with Large Quiet Cooling Fan

Q. What would you all think of my potential new computer specs?

Q. What type of specs should I add instead? 

Q. What type of computers are you all running SQ on?

Thanks.

nolube

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 115 replies.

Visit profile

7 years ago #136878

They built that for 600USD.

For 900USD you can now get 2 used dell server racks with X2 xeon X7560 (4 CPUs total). Thats 32 cores/64 threads with about ~128GB ram for 900USD. This is what I’m gona do.

Hi Thresh, where would one buy such things?

Threshold

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 723 replies.

Visit profile

7 years ago #136881

ebay

mikeyc

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 877 replies.

Visit profile

7 years ago #136884

Hi Thresh, where would one buy such things?

I’ve noticed lots of very cheap servers in the USA, all the huge datacentres there for MS, Apple, Google, Facebook etc, replacing older machines.

In the UK, not seen anything cheap and powerful.

antonioCB

Subscriber, bbp_participant, community, 11 replies.

Visit profile

7 years ago #136896

ebay

I’ve noticed lots of very cheap servers in the USA, all the huge datacentres there for MS, Apple, Google, Facebook etc, replacing older machines.

In the UK, not seen anything cheap and powerful.

Inviato dal mio D5503 utilizzando Tapatalk

geektrader

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 522 replies.

Visit profile

7 years ago #136900

Yea, eBay is full of these Xeon´s that are mentioned in the article earlier here, they also ship to the UK. I´ve ordered mine via eBay from Belgium, was the cheapest.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=E5-2670&_sop=15

🚀 Unlock Your Edge in Automated Forex Strategy Development 🚀

Historical Forex Data Starting From 1987, 28 Pairs, M1, 99% Error-Free, Lifetime Free Updates

geektrader

Visit profile

7 years ago #136901

Here is one of those auctions from Belgium again, 1 day remains: http://www.ebay.de/itm/Set-of-2x-Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-2670-20M-Cache-2-60-GHz-8-00-GT-s-Intel-QPI-/381630756204?hash=item58daf7356c:g:zQcAAOSwubRXMh0D

Historical Forex Data Starting From 1987, 28 Pairs, M1, 99% Error-Free, Lifetime Free Updates

nolube

Visit profile

7 years ago #136903

Hey guys (looking at geektrader lol) I’m a real newbie when it comes to these server thingys  😀

I was wondering how it would set up at home? Does it run a copy of windows and I just install SQ on there like a normal PC? Or do I network with my current PC and outsource the computation to the server and it doesn;t have a visible desktop, as such? I’m a bit confused about it all, so was hoping someone could clear that up for me please.

Threshold

Visit profile

7 years ago #136905

Its just a computer as far as wanting to use it for SQ. Like setting up any computer. You can put any version of windows on them, doesn’t have to be server edition. My Dell poweredges all have windows 7 on them. I networked them just like a normal computer.
You can put a monitor keyboard and mouse on it etc.
Mine are all in my basement and I remote connect to them from my office upstairs so they never have a monitor keyboard mouse attached.

geektrader

Visit profile

7 years ago #136906

It´s just like any normal computer, you can install Windows, Linux, Mac OS, whatever you wish 🙂 They are all able to support all the cores. Then you can install SQ and use your second license for that machine too. And with SQ4, you can just use the computation client and start SQ4 on your “old” computer as it will spread the workload over the network, at least according to Mark….

nolube

Visit profile

7 years ago #136908

Threshold

Visit profile

7 years ago #136909

Geektrader might know the cpu market better than I. I know the e5-2670 CPUs are a really good deal, so servers with those are also probably. Thats basically how I do my searches. See what CPUs are really a good deal now then look for those servers. the X7560s are pretty nice too since they have 24mb cache.

I just ordered this. There were some cheaper out there but most were missing hard drivers or had lower ram etc. Shipping was free atleast. Got for $1100
32 core/128gb ram
http://www.ebay.com/itm/191751231380

seaton

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 161 replies.

Visit profile

7 years ago #136910

@nolube

I had one of these many moons ago, although not running SQ then.   It sounded like a JET running all the time and I had it in one of the furtherest rooms in the house, right next to the neighbours so I bet they weren’t happy as it was running 24×7 (I was renting at the time) 

Just a reminder that all servers are VERY noisy and run HOT, so need to run in a room that won’t disturb anyone and have decent cooling, alternately hook them up to the home heating 😉   They also take a bit of electricity to run, unless you get the newer ones that are greener.

My servers are hosted at my work 😉 as I get first dibs on the retired ones and I have permission to leave it in the rack and keep em running.

nolube

Visit profile

7 years ago #136911

Really appreciate your replies guys, and @seaton that’s a pretty sweet gig!

I’m just trying to think about where I can put one of these where I currently live, I think I might wait until I move (shortly) and even try to house it at the new place of work and just access it from home. But I guess if something came up in the meantime I could just buy it and then work out where to put it!

seaton

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 161 replies.

Visit profile

7 years ago #136912

See if you can pick up a 2nd hand 19″ rack to mount it in.  Will need to be deep one >900mm for most servers, but you don’t need a full height one, say a 24RU, maybe smaller that can fit under a bench.  Add some wheels to make things easier to move

nolube

Visit profile

7 years ago #136928

OK guys, with the help of a couple friends I’ve devised a set up dedicated to SQ use. The only parts I have ordered here so far are the chips. Should cost me under $5,000 AUD.

2 x E5-2670 v3

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Intel-Xeon-E5-2670-v3-ES-LGA2011-3-12C-Compatible-with-X99-i7-5820K-5930K-5960X-/162036924765?hash=item25ba27415d:g:fSkAAOSwVL1V~YVM

Motherboard – Supermicro DP E5-2600v3 eATX [X10DRI-O]

http://www.megabuy.com.au/supermicro-dp-e5-2600v3-eatx-p676218.html

RAM – 16 x 8gb (was thinking of getting 4gb as it should be plenty, but unsure of the requirements of SQ4)

http://www.megabuy.com.au/kingston-8gb-2133mhz-ddr4-eccreg-cl15-dimm-dual-rank-x8-p568676.html

PSU – 1000W

http://www.megabuy.com.au/antec-hcp-1000w-psu-80-platinum-p555065.html

SSD 128gb samsung x 4 (1 for each SQ, I have 10 SATAs)

SSD 512gb samsung for storage of tickdata

Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

Liquid cooling and rack to be decided. A mate has some smaller rack box thingys (sorry for got the term) that I can build it in with the cooling somewhat separated in a different part of the overall build.

What do you guys think? My main question lies with the RAM – although I don’t think it should be any issue even if its 10% slower or something because this little workhorse can work around the clock.

Viewing 15 replies - 46 through 60 (of 71 total)

1 2 3 4 5