Best Genetic Options

21 replies

Oliver

Customer, bbp_participant, community, sq-ultimate, 121 replies.

Visit profile

4 years ago #255205

Im really unsure of what difference all these options mean and do. can anyone explain the effect of changing the numbers on each of these options. im trying to understand how i can build strategies far quicker that meet my acceptance criteria. i used to have 100 max generations and 100 population size with 4 islands and the rest the same but it would take almost a week for GBPUSD strategies to land in my results of say 500. then i would set about doing all my robustness tests. except for the higher precision test on m1 data.

I would need these explaining in lamen terms as im not really technically minded.

thanks in advance

hankeys

Customer, bbp_participant, community, sq-ultimate, 487 replies.

Visit profile

4 years ago #255207

why do you change the default settings? you can live with them…did you read what is behind the HELP button?

why do you use max generation as 1? – the genetic algorith has no room to evolve – it will end in the start – THIS IS THE BASICS

my most used settings looks like this

Attachments:
You must be logged in to view attached files.

You want to be a profitable algotrader? We started using StrateQuant software in early 2014. For now we have a very big knowhow for building EAs for every possible types of markets. We share this knowhow, apps, tools and also all final strategies with real traders. If you want to join us, fill in the FORM.

hankeys

Visit profile

4 years ago #255208

every setting counts and you need what you are doing, but after you read the HELP, there is nothing more to explain…its simple

You want to be a profitable algotrader? We started using StrateQuant software in early 2014. For now we have a very big knowhow for building EAs for every possible types of markets. We share this knowhow, apps, tools and also all final strategies with real traders. If you want to join us, fill in the FORM.

Oliver

Visit profile

4 years ago #255209

thanks Hankeys. id not thought to click on the help button.  thanks for sharing your settings. now ive a better understanding and conclude you really want each strategy to be explored for a profitable option before allowing sq to dismiss it.  At least this is my understanding of your settings. ive now put my settings almost as per the guidelines in the help section. as per below.

im interested to see what output i get now. failing that i will try your settings.

Oliver

Visit profile

4 years ago #255210

***correction*****

tomas262

Administrator, sq-ultimate, 2 replies.

Visit profile

4 years ago #255212

Hello,

if you use Max # generations = 5 you cannot set Migrate every Xth generation to 50 since you only have 5. Other settings can be used but the default provided with SQX are just fine. The population size = 5 can be increased too to add more diversity into population

hankeys

Visit profile

4 years ago #255216

in my settings – i dont like migration between islands (by my opinion leads to only to duplicates) – so my migration is turned off – max number of gen. 100, migrate after 100 – so no migration at all

so my islands are totally independent at each other and have thier own initial pouplation – so the settigs of max islands could deppend only on how your PC specs are. Number of islands doesnt matter, because in my settings the islands are independent – i am using 8, because on higher TFs i could get to 100% cpu load with lower number of islands

your number of generation 10 is still very low, genetics need to have some air, 100 could be good…mostly it will not reach this high level, because of the fitness restarting the process

restarting after 5 is very soon by my opinion, i am using 30

Oliver

Visit profile

4 years ago #255300

So i have an i7 8th gen strategyquantx says i can use 12 cores. Im no computer geek so do you have any suggestions on settings you think mine could handle to get the best amount of strategies in the leat amount of sacrificed time?

Im also wondering what computer specs i can consider purchasing to have this done much faster but also without sacrificing money too much money. Any ideas or suggestions you may have for me to explore?

thanks

hankeys

Visit profile

4 years ago #255302

with i7 you must be rocking with generating strategies, you dont need better PC

stay with the basic settings, set number of islands so your PC will have full load

ivan

Subscriber, bbp_participant, community, 236 replies.

Visit profile

4 years ago #255308

So i have an i7 8th gen strategyquantx says i can use 12 cores. Im no computer geek so do you have any suggestions on settings you think mine could handle to get the best amount of strategies in the leat amount of sacrificed time? Im also wondering what computer specs i can consider purchasing to have this done much faster but also without sacrificing money too much money. Any ideas or suggestions you may have for me to explore? thanks

What you see in the Confguration tab settings, are in fact threads, not physical cores. If you see the number 12, that’s 12 threads, meaning you have 6 cores. Please write the exact model of the processor to have a more exact assessment. It could be something like 8700K but there are several models.

there is a dedicated thread for the exact this type of problems

https://strategyquant.com/forum/topic/pc-setups-configurations-benchmarks-and-general-recommendations/

Timisoara, Romania
3900X 3.8 Ghz 12 cores, 64GB RAM DDR4 3000Mhz, Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 NVMe

Oliver

Visit profile

4 years ago #255429

Ok thats great thanks. i may wish to build such  a faster computer

ivan

Visit profile

4 years ago #255565

what model you have ?

as a general guide, rest assured, you wont get any decent result with any ordinary 6 core Core i7 regardless of generation, fabrication process or frequency. I have a 3700X which is on the same level with most of those processors and i can assure you its simply too weak to get a performance level beyond basic, so what you have its the bare minimum, pretty far from “rocking” anything

but fire up the system, put the strategies on the test and we can talk after after a few months

Timisoara, Romania

ivan

Visit profile

4 years ago #255566

and there is an additional problem you must be aware of, anyone with an older, energy inefficient processor like many Intel processors, might discover that although the strategies are profitable and make money, so technically we are correct in stating that simple strategies do work, you might find out and the end of the month when the electricity bill comes, that you actually spent more money on electricity than what the strategies earned, because the processor is simply very inefficient

Timisoara, Romania

Gianfranco

Subscriber, bbp_participant, customer, community, 114 replies.

Visit profile

4 years ago #255567

hello gianfranco… according to your opinion.which is the cpu with the best watts-performance ratio. memory /cores
obviously not the top both amd and intel  and  price/performance

it would also be curious to know which cpu works best with parallel calculation of sqx

thanks

Gianfranco (Milan)

Gianfranco

Subscriber, bbp_participant, customer, community, 114 replies.

Visit profile

4 years ago #255568

also because it is not only important to have cpu ram etc powerful but a lot depends on what kind of genetic research we do to sqx… ‘because I’ve seen and I’ve also studied years ago that a lot depends on what we make him do to genetic research.. i.e. various building blocks to use and that setting right islands and all variables because if you don’t have the right settings ,,,you don’t go far
when you have the right settings
then the powerful computer is used to squeeze the various combinations
and unfortunately to look for the right settings it takes time or help
Thanks
Gianfranco

hankeys

Visit profile

4 years ago #255591

I would be very careful to say this simple equation: you have good PC specs = you will be profitable

the profitability will come only by experience

for newbies its nonsense to spend 1000s of USD for some superb PC specs and start with a green button and wait, this is way to hell

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

1 2