Importing Range Bars From TS not working

11 replies

sbecm

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 35 replies.

Visit profile

4 years ago #255578

Hello

Is there a special way range bars are imported into SQ from TradeStation or are they not supported ?

Everytime i try i get an error and cant use them.

mabi

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 261 replies.

Visit profile

4 years ago #255579

Never tried that but if data formate is OHLC it should work if time stamp formate is okey which it is probably not.

mabi

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 261 replies.

Visit profile

4 years ago #255583

Allthought i already tried all exotic bar variants using SQ3. It did not give better looking strategies. Plus in the end You realize you cant trust the results so it is in my experiance a waste of time but can it be helpful when manual trading since the bars is smooting the price action.

hankeys

Customer, bbp_participant, community, sq-ultimate, 487 replies.

Visit profile

4 years ago #255588

i agree with mabi

you will get different strategies, but they will not be better than time based ones

there is nothing like – range/renko/whatever bars will remove the noise, will lower the false breakouts, etc. this is nonsense

and without 100% support of these bars there is too much work and not an easy way how to trade those bars in MT

You want to be a profitable algotrader? We started using StrateQuant software in early 2014. For now we have a very big knowhow for building EAs for every possible types of markets. We share this knowhow, apps, tools and also all final strategies with real traders. If you want to join us, fill in the FORM.

tomas262

Administrator, sq-ultimate, 2 replies.

Visit profile

4 years ago #255609

Hello,

you can basically import any OHLC you have. If you are having error when importing the data there must be a wrong format mask set. If you provide the data sample we can test

kainc301

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 54 replies.

Visit profile

4 years ago #255615

The only effective way to do anything non-time based IMO is if the SQ team made custom bars that worked on all platforms. Its the only way we can get accurate data.

You can vote on the feature request here if you want https://roadmap.strategyquant.com/tasks/sq4_5479

range/renko/whatever bars will remove the noise, will lower the false breakouts, etc. this is nonsense

I would say I have to disagree with the sentiment these bars can’t remove noise. It’s impossible to remove all the noise but I believe that non-time based bars remove a degree of noise depending on bar formation you’re speaking of. I went into detail about how to build the bars properly in the feature request.

and without 100% support of these bars there is too much work and not an easy way how to trade those bars in MT

This is definitely true. We need the support built into SQX and provided as a tool to use with the patforms the strategies are traded on.

hankeys

Customer, bbp_participant, community, sq-ultimate, 487 replies.

Visit profile

4 years ago #255616

removing the noise could be only overoptimisation of the bars itself by their size

but what barsize i should use – 10 pips, 100 pips, for every market the same or differently – i am adding new parameter to trading, dont like this approach

1) i need to use tickdata to prepare the bars – how to connect the newer data to older ones? – very difficult to solve

2) i need to use some 3rd party EAs or indis to create those bars, i need to decide the barsize, how? what i will use as lower/higher TF robustnest test? another barsizes, another data?

3) i couldnot use timeranges, exit firdays etc.

4) and final problem – how to trade those strategies? every strategy will need 2 separate windows – one with bars creation EA and second with strategy itself and we know from the past and from my manual trading, that redrawing of bars slows things down

my easy conclusion – if you arent profitable with time based strats and dont want only to spend lifetime of trying, dont even think to try trading range/renko, whatever barsize are

You want to be a profitable algotrader? We started using StrateQuant software in early 2014. For now we have a very big knowhow for building EAs for every possible types of markets. We share this knowhow, apps, tools and also all final strategies with real traders. If you want to join us, fill in the FORM.

sbecm

Visit profile

4 years ago #255868

Thanks for replies, here is the error i get.

Build Error

Here are the steps i take to add Data:

Step 1:

Step 2

Step 2

Step 3

Step 3

*** in the pic Step 1 – i have the timestamp set as Metatrader but i checked and it was correctly set as Tradestation.

I’ve also added the 6 month data

Attachments:
You must be logged in to view attached files.

tomas262

Visit profile

4 years ago #256111

Hello,

it works for me well. I mean when the ‘default’ or ‘market’ pre-configuration is used it generates many strategies easily. Do you use any special config? You can save and attach and I will test

sbecm

Visit profile

4 years ago #256112

I’m going crazy trying to fix this.

I reinstalled SQ4.

I used both Default and market build templates.

I still get the exact same error.

02:05:39 Error while running project ‘Builder’. com.strategyquant.datalib.data.DataException: No BarType was found for timeframe ‘Intraday’ and barTimeType ‘2’ ! at com.strategyquant.datalib.bartype.BarTypeFactory._getBarType(Unknown Source) at com.strategyquant.datalib.bartype.BarTypeFactory.getBarType(Unknown Source) at com.strategyquant….

02:05:39 Initializing backtest data…

Error while running project ‘Builder’.
No BarType was found for timeframe ‘Intraday’ and barTimeType ‘2’ !

Gregorian

Subscriber, bbp_participant, community, customer, 3 replies.

Visit profile

4 years ago #256911

I think I found the problem: Range bars import properly when the symbol is set to “Timestamp represents start of bar time”. You must manually specify Intraday as the timeframe.

If you have “Timestamp represents end of bar time”, SQX produces the error “No BarType was found for timeframe ‘Intraday’ and barTimeType ‘2’ “

tomas262

Visit profile

4 years ago #256945

You are right, only ‘start of bar’ type works with the range bar data at the moment. This will be improved by developers with an SQX update

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)