Is anybody here profitable in a long run?

16 replies

Gin

Subscriber, bbp_participant, 95 replies.

Visit profile

3 years ago #266834

on a real account?

hankeys

Customer, bbp_participant, community, sq-ultimate, 487 replies.

Visit profile

3 years ago #266836

and what is a long run? i am trading real SQ strategies from 2016…there are good years and also a bad years 🙂

You want to be a profitable algotrader? We started using StrateQuant software in early 2014. For now we have a very big knowhow for building EAs for every possible types of markets. We share this knowhow, apps, tools and also all final strategies with real traders. If you want to join us, fill in the FORM.

Gin

Visit profile

3 years ago #266842

with sqx?

what is your annual return?

Daniel

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 36 replies.

Visit profile

3 years ago #266843

I have seen this question a lot of time in this forum and the answer is YES, BUT … it’s not a system where you just press one button and you will be rich. It’s hard and takes time, you need to have an exact plan and documentation about your system and portfolio.

There are some members who are present in this forum (like Hankeys) and already a long time already shown some results. But I think nobody is going to disclose all his results to proof something to somebody. People do make money from currency trading and so SQX also does.

DP

Jason

Customer, bbp_participant, sq-ultimate, 69 replies.

Visit profile

3 years ago #266852

Geffect is correct I doubt anybody is going to lay out their annual income to complete strangers but I understand your question in trying to ascertain if SQX or indeed trading in general is profitable and is for you, depending on if you have trading experience previously of course.

I’m new to SQX but have been trading for about 20 years using other software tools and yes in the long run I have been successful but as Hankeys said some good years some bad. What I will say though is that for algo traders the main bane of their life is curve fitting and striving to avoid it. Anybody can throw a few indicators on a chart and optimise them to produce jaw dropping equity curves. Of course the systems will be useless and blow the account in no time but one thing is for sure if you were somehow actually able to obtain those optimisation numbers in real time during that period that you back tested you would make that profit. But thats the thing right there, how do you get those optimised parameters without a time machine?!!

Your only hope is statistical analysis in some shape or form of any edge that you think you may have found and SQX provides the ability to do that. With that said there is no ‘press play and win’ software package that I have ever seen. Even with the tools that SQX offers you you still have to put thought and effort into it.

hankeys

Visit profile

3 years ago #266853

HIGH FIVE for this post

You want to be a profitable algotrader? We started using StrateQuant software in early 2014. For now we have a very big knowhow for building EAs for every possible types of markets. We share this knowhow, apps, tools and also all final strategies with real traders. If you want to join us, fill in the FORM.

ivan

Subscriber, bbp_participant, community, 236 replies.

Visit profile

3 years ago #266860

on a real account?

i think you have to define better the term “profit”

hankeys asked you what do you mean by a long run, i would ask you what do you mean by profit

i put this question because, without a doubt, i can confirm to you that the strategies generated, do make profit, what i call a “technical” profit but translating this into a “money in hand” profit requires what the other users have already said, an entirely different set of tools and skills and depends on the scale of profit we refer to

meaning, we are referring to a profit sufficient enough to buy o mobile phone, a watch…etc, like 100 EUR now and then, or…..even bigger than that, a profit large enough to live upon, like 900 or 1000 EUR every month. At this level, you can probably imagine that you need a very large, diversified portfolio of strategies, good hardware and last but not least, large account

also there are several ways to measure a profit, one of them you mentioned, annual return, but there are others too

Timisoara, Romania
3900X 3.8 Ghz 12 cores, 64GB RAM DDR4 3000Mhz, Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 NVMe

Michael

Subscriber, bbp_participant, 9 replies.

Visit profile

3 years ago #266986

i put this question because, without a doubt, i can confirm to you that the strategies generated, do make profit, what i call a “technical” profit

I’m new to SQ and downloaded the trial version. I have to piggyback on this post and have to follow up on this:

What is called technical profit, does this mean, that a generated (and optimized) strategy or portfolio of strategies performs as expected/predicted in a live test on a real money account?

That is, a strategy or portfolio or strategies, that passed all the further tests like Monte Carlo, Opt. Profile, Sys. Param. Permutations, Walk-Forward Optimization asf.

I mean this should be the measure of live performance, i.e. that a strategy or portfolio behaves as expected within a certain range (e.g. 70 % of expected return in the live test or something). Otherwise, why use the software :).

tomas262

Administrator, sq-ultimate, 2 replies.

Visit profile

3 years ago #266992

Hello,

yes, all the backtests, robustness tests and optimizations show us what’s possible to achieve with a specific strategy. It gives you odds in your favor that the strategy is going to survive as long as possible even if the market behavior changes in time. But none of these tests will provide you warranty about future results. Past performance is not necessarily indicative of future results.

The main purpose of the SQ tool is to build models, build it as fast as possible so that it saves you thousands of hours of manual work and provide a way to automate its operation so you still have free time to build other models and enjoy other things in life. Those who have developed their systems and backtested everything and traded for years manually understand the effort and amount of manual work necessary to achieve something meaningful and how priceless such tool can be 🙂

ivan

Subscriber, bbp_participant, community, 236 replies.

Visit profile

3 years ago #267038

I’m new to SQ and downloaded the trial version. I have to piggyback on this post and have to follow up on this: What is called technical profit, does this mean, that a generated (and optimized) strategy or portfolio of strategies performs as expected/predicted in a live test on a real money account?

hello, sorry for the late response, only now i saw what you wrote

lets take things one at a time, if you are a beginner in SQ and try to obtain the first strategies, i recommend to write on forum or in private to tomas262 for SQ generating advice, and i could assist you in hardware related questions. You will need plenty of both advice in order to be efficient in the work. SQ team members are known to extend the trial period in justified cases. Tomas262 is not just any user or client but a qualified trainer and SQ team member who also trained me.

For hardware questions, use this:

https://strategyquant.com/forum/topic/pc-setups-configurations-benchmarks-and-general-recommendations/

You have to know what pair, timeframe and settings to generate to be efficient, otherwise you are in danger to generate on “desert” ground or with inappropriate hardware and reach the wrong conclusion that the software is to blame, which is not true.

Also, obtaining a working strategy is just the first step. Working meaning makes a profit but just making profit above 0 is not enough because you will have generating costs and a strategy must support with own generating costs first and making profit for you after that.

This is not a gaming forum where people only have fun and play virtual games or profit. Some of the traders here support their families from the profit they make. Its like owning a business and in theory, you can have employees (strategies) who make “technical” profit but your business as a whole has a negative monthly or quarterly profit and you have to take management decisions because you also have costs, hardware, electricity….etc.

Timisoara, Romania
3900X 3.8 Ghz 12 cores, 64GB RAM DDR4 3000Mhz, Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 NVMe

WJPII

Subscriber, bbp_participant, customer, community, sq-ultimate, 118 replies.

Visit profile

3 years ago #267692

I am relatively new to SQX and wanted to chime in to get responses from people who have been using the system for a while.  I have another post in application support that basically says that I am not able to get the SQX back test to look anything close to the MT4 back test on the EA.  I have spent 3 months of my computer on 24/7 building and optimizing and nothing works.  So, I am not so concerned right now about “profitable” EA’s.  I am just wondering how long it takes the experienced people to get an EA out of SQX that has results on MT4 that comes close to matching?

Oh – and I am using the beta version.  Does that make a difference?

Thanks.

hankeys

Visit profile

3 years ago #267696

what do you mean about BETA?

i have experince with SQ strategies from 2016 and can say, that i have no problem with unmatched backtests from SQX compared to backtest from SQX

MT backtester sucks if you are not using proper methods – like Tick Data Suite and you need to understand how to set the data in SQX and in MT platform, etc.

But if you will have everything set up correctly, there are no problems with backtests at all

WJPII

Subscriber, bbp_participant, customer, community, sq-ultimate, 118 replies.

Visit profile

3 years ago #267715

I was using the last release of SQX until SQ came out with a beta version (soon to be production release).  Regardless, I had the same issues with latest production release.

I use 4 broker MT4 terminals and all use TDS ticks.  Not sure what you mean by “set the data in SQX and MT platform”.  I do back testing all day long on EA’s from MQL5 and have no issues with those.  Within TDS, I have set for variable spread starting at 1, leverage 1:200, Commission of $5/lot – nothing out of the ordinary.  The only parameter I think is not covered in SQX or TDS is GMT offset.  I don’t even know how to set that within SQX or if you can.

I provided the attached to SQX applications as an example of an EA that looks reasonably well in SQX, but does not BT at all like that in MT4.  I have hundreds examples.  Been wasting my time for months…

Attachments:
You must be logged in to view attached files.

Andre Alexa

Customer, bbp_participant, 7 replies.

Visit profile

3 years ago #267700

I have also been running Trial for 2 weeks. Still in doubt with the strategies produced by SQX. No strategies pass ALL robustness test.

Is this Okay?

can we trust real money in strategies that pass Monte Manipulation but Fail Monte Retest?

Honestly, I cannot trust that I have been doing the right thing because I follow the Tutorials for trial users where Full Licensed users will get much more in depth tutorial videos. So I must be not knowing a lot of things here.

hankeys

Visit profile

3 years ago #267744

everything is about the settings, many problems which i read here are because of not correct setting

as i told, i am using old strategyquant from 2016, SQX from the first builds, my real portfolios from SQX strats are running for a year and i have never problems with mismatching backtests. Yes many bugs was found in the first builds, but it was many months ago.

This is for example my pool of GBPJPY strats running on demo account for more than 1 year – comparation curve is RED LINE – MT platform, BLACK line – backtest from SQX. And after more than 4000 trades the match is almost perfect

Basic problem is that users doesnt use cloned data to their brokers timezone, this should be stated with BIG LETTERS – its not truth, that SQX cant clone data to the US DST, everything can be done – i am using data cloned to EST07, its UTC2 with US DST which most brokers use, and i have real accounts on 7 brokers.

Attachments:
You must be logged in to view attached files.

Gin

Visit profile

3 years ago #267772

why are you running on a demo for a year?

afraid to go live?

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

1 2