Latency — does it matter?

6 replies

Csaba

Customer, bbp_participant, community, sq-ultimate, 110 replies.

Visit profile

4 years ago #247723

Hi!

Let say I have already a pending order. Let say BUY STOP. Let say, in the next hour comes a big move (news or something like that…)
Question: does is matter if I have latency 1 ms or (for example) 40ms?

Does the latency have impact how fast my pending order will be executed? Or does latency just matter how fast my computer with the server of the broker communicates?

Brg: Csaba

tomas262

Administrator, sq-ultimate, 2 replies.

Visit profile

4 years ago #247724

Regarding pending orders check the discussion here https://www.forexfactory.com/showthread.php?t=559443

hankeys

Customer, bbp_participant, community, sq-ultimate, 487 replies.

Visit profile

4 years ago #247730

its obivous – price will reach pending order and platform try to send a market order – with latency you will be entering lately

so you will not most probably enter at the exact price – slippage will occur

imagine big break after some sort of news – break could be also a gap without price, so slippage will not be mostly caused because of your bigger latency

i dont see a latency as a major problem for us

you latency could lead, that you will be entering at better price, but this will mostly not happen 🙂

You want to be a profitable algotrader? We started using StrateQuant software in early 2014. For now we have a very big knowhow for building EAs for every possible types of markets. We share this knowhow, apps, tools and also all final strategies with real traders. If you want to join us, fill in the FORM.

mabi

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 261 replies.

Visit profile

4 years ago #247732

Pending orders (whether they be stop or limit orders) will be executed even if MetaTrader is offline. The only thing that WILL NOT work if MetaTrader is offline is if you set a TRAILING STOP.  This is my understanding and experience with MT4 trading live. Even if I have been offline for 3 days the orders have still been filled. So in this regards latency is no concern.

, 0 replies.

Visit profile

4 years ago #247734

I would like to ask from SQX sides what slippage is indicated?

PIPS? Seconds?

hankeys

Customer, bbp_participant, community, sq-ultimate, 487 replies.

Visit profile

4 years ago #247736

slippage is in pips

You want to be a profitable algotrader? We started using StrateQuant software in early 2014. For now we have a very big knowhow for building EAs for every possible types of markets. We share this knowhow, apps, tools and also all final strategies with real traders. If you want to join us, fill in the FORM.

, 0 replies.

Visit profile

4 years ago #247851

thanks

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)