Loss Filter (from the original Turtle Traders Strategy)

5 replies

Greg Doscher

Subscriber, bbp_participant, customer, community, 8 replies.

Visit profile

1 year ago #279537

Hi there, the original turtle trading strategy employed a clever entry filter called a “loss filter” that would only allow a trade if the last trade was a losing one in either direction. Is there any way to build that out in the AlgoWizard or Build Strategies? I haven’t yet been able to find a condition or block that would accomplish this. Thanks in advance for any help here.

tomas262

Administrator, sq-ultimate, 2 replies.

Visit profile

1 year ago #279546

Hi,

you can use the “Closed PL” function available in AlgoWizard. Check the screenshot attached

Attachments:
You must be logged in to view attached files.

Greg Doscher

Visit profile

1 year ago #279556

Perfect thanks so much. So in this case you’d select “Closed PL < 0” as the condition, correct?

tomas262

Administrator, sq-ultimate, 2 replies.

Visit profile

1 year ago #279562

Yes, that is correct

bentra

Customer, bbp_participant, community, sq-ultimate, 22 replies.

Visit profile

1 year ago #279577

Huh? But then when it wins it would just stop trading forever…. Actually, it would never even start trading because Closed PL would be zero….

You might have better luck making the lot size super tiny until it loses once then it goes full lots etc. Because it won’t know if the last trade WOULD have been a loser or winner if it didn’t take the trade.

May all your fits be loose.

https://www.darwinex.com/darwin/SUG.4.2/

Greg Doscher

Visit profile

1 year ago #279578

Yes Bentra, it’s not quite the solution because I can’t figure out a way for it to take the first trade since there’s no previous PNL history. Then like you also mentioned, I can’t find a way for the strategy to tell if a hypothetical trade would’ve been a winner/loser to then open or not open a position. Any additional guidance is appreciated here Tomas. It’s possible that it’s beyond the capability of the software without a feature update and if so that would be useful to know. Thanks so much.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)