SQX : Performance per core / Number of cores? Threadrippers / I9 ?

23 replies

clonex / Ivan Hudec

Customer, bbp_participant, community, sq-ultimate, contributor, author, editor, 271 replies.

Visit profile

5 years ago #235838

I want to ask dev team and adv users what is better in terms of performance for new SQX.

Actually, new threadrippers are out with many many cores 16/24/32  but with lower clock speed per core.

At the end of the month will be out new i9  where clock per core is much better but they have also fewer cores. What do you recommend?

Is SQX optimized for using many many cores or all work will do JVM?

geektrader

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 522 replies.

Visit profile

5 years ago #235843

The more cores, the better overall performance, remember, you can start several SQ instances, so you can max out all the cores easily.  So the slower core speeds are no issue, because you have many more cores than on the i9 and overall the Threadripper´s total performance (utilizing all cores) smokes the i9. I am on a Threadripper 1950X (16 cores, 32 threads) and simply launch as many SQ´s until CPU load reaches 100%. Just make sure to have enough RAM too, as each instance of course requires some RAM 😉

🚀 Unlock Your Edge in Automated Forex Strategy Development 🚀

Historical Forex Data Starting From 1987, 28 Pairs, M1, 99% Error-Free, Lifetime Free Updates

mabi

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 261 replies.

Visit profile

5 years ago #235851

SQx easily maxes my 40 threads. It will do that up to 64 threads after that Windows will group them and then SQx only uses one group unfortunately.  All thought it might be more diversifying to run many sessions as well even with SQx. I think is just math Clock speed times amount of cores.

mikeyc

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 877 replies.

Visit profile

5 years ago #235869

SQx easily maxes my 40 threads. It will do that up to 64 threads after that Windows will group them and then SQx only uses one group unfortunately. All thought it might be more diversifying to run many sessions as well even with SQx. I think is just math Clock speed times amount of cores.

I learned something today, that Windows applications (unless written specifically to use more than one processor group) are limited to 64 logical processor cores.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/hardtofind/2018/01/29/windows-server-with-more-than-64-logical-processors/

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/procthread/processor-groups

I don’t think I’m likely to have a computer with more than 64 anytime soon.

mabi

Visit profile

5 years ago #235870

Linux group them first at 128 cores/threads.

geektrader

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 522 replies.

Visit profile

5 years ago #235877

All good guys, there is no limit of just 64 threads, it just groups them into 64er groups. However, if you have 128 threads, you can just run 2 SQ instances and map instance 1 to group0 with 64 cores and instance 2 to group1 with the other 64 cores. The issue just is that 1(!) istance cannot use 128 core.

🚀 Unlock Your Edge in Automated Forex Strategy Development 🚀

Historical Forex Data Starting From 1987, 28 Pairs, M1, 99% Error-Free, Lifetime Free Updates

clonex / Ivan Hudec

Customer, bbp_participant, community, sq-ultimate, contributor, author, editor, 271 replies.

Visit profile

5 years ago #236213

Any news with SQX performance on threadripper? and i8?

gusyoan

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 21 replies.

Visit profile

5 years ago #236322

hi guys,

how can i know whether SQx used max threads when i open only 1 instance?

mabi

Visit profile

5 years ago #236326

Press ctrl alt del  go to task manager/performance  and check it  🙂

Fernando Morales

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 5 replies.

Visit profile

5 years ago #236329

Having to run multiple instances of SQ requires wasting lots of RAM for the GUI and program data. I find more effient the Metaquotes’ approach with MT5 using “tester agents” to distribute the calculations. If SQ were to have such agents it would easier to use computers in a LAN, or even GPUs

hankeys

Customer, bbp_participant, community, sq-ultimate, 487 replies.

Visit profile

5 years ago #236330

with SQX is not much needed to run more instances of SQ, because even 1 instance can get you full load – this is not the solution for SQ 3, where you need to run more instances to get full load – so i need to run 8 of them a for this purposes i have 128 GB RAM. For new SQX i dont need that much now 🙂 but i am still generating some strs in the old version

You want to be a profitable algotrader? We started using StrateQuant software in early 2014. For now we have a very big knowhow for building EAs for every possible types of markets. We share this knowhow, apps, tools and also all final strategies with real traders. If you want to join us, fill in the FORM.

gusyoan

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 21 replies.

Visit profile

5 years ago #236327

Press ctrl alt del go to task manager/performance and check it ?

yes, i did so. I have set 32/64 cores  in performance on my Dual Xeon workstation, but CPU occupation keep 90% above. What does this mean? I have enough 128 Go memory

Ash24FX

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 17 replies.

Visit profile

5 years ago #236232

Not sure how it compares to other processors, but the screenshots below may give you an idea how it performs on a Threadripper 2950X running at stock. As you can see from the screenshots a single instance uses all cores fully at 100%. No need to run multiple instances.

StategyQuant X Build 112 on Threadripper 2950XTask Manager

clonex / Ivan Hudec

Visit profile

5 years ago #236373

Thnaks! This is for what im looking for.

paolosurf72

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 3 replies.

Visit profile

5 years ago #236602

A question and a tip for me … If you had a budget around 2500/3000 eur today to buy a workstation to work with SQX, what configuration would you choose?

clonex / Ivan Hudec

Visit profile

5 years ago #236609

i bought threadripper 2950x water cooled.  costs were around 2400 eur without vat. do not overinvest into ram better to more cores imo.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

1 2