SQX : Performance per core / Number of cores? Threadrippers / I9 ?

23 replies

clonex / Ivan Hudec

Customer, bbp_participant, community, sq-ultimate, contributor, author, editor, 271 replies.

Visit profile

5 years ago #235838

I want to ask dev team and adv users what is better in terms of performance for new SQX.

Actually, new threadrippers are out with many many cores 16/24/32  but with lower clock speed per core.

At the end of the month will be out new i9  where clock per core is much better but they have also fewer cores. What do you recommend?

Is SQX optimized for using many many cores or all work will do JVM?

paolosurf72

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 3 replies.

Visit profile

5 years ago #236615

how much ram did you install?

sbecm

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 35 replies.

Visit profile

5 years ago #236627

ive got a 1950x, originally 32gb ram.

Having problems with my ram at the moment so only running 16gb.

I’ve noticed slight performance decrease but StrategyQuant works fine with 16gb just adjust settings.

I think 32gb is more than enough with SQ.

paolosurf72

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 3 replies.

Visit profile

5 years ago #236642

thanx;)

mabi

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 261 replies.

Visit profile

5 years ago #236644

The i am sure the ram usage buildup issue will be resolved by dev in the mean time i have solved the issue with this little free program which fixed the problem. Been using it for about 1 week.  https://www.koshyjohn.com/software/memclean/

I set it to clean at 80 % and evry 5 min since thats the only settings there is.

Fxgold54

Subscriber, bbp_participant, customer, community, sq-ultimate, 15 replies.

Visit profile

2 years ago #276865

This is a great thread, unfortunate nobody has posted in 3 years. I just did a build just to run SQX. Using an i9-12900K with 64GB of Ram.

It is cranking out strategies in short order. I am actually running 4 custom projects simultaneously. I know the training video’s all reference RAM as being the limiting factor while I have found it’s actually processing power.

GermanMazza

Subscriber, bbp_participant, customer, community, sq-ultimate, 34 replies.

Visit profile

2 years ago #276909

This is a great thread, unfortunate nobody has posted in 3 years. I just did a build just to run SQX. Using an i9-12900K with 64GB of Ram. It is cranking out strategies in short order. I am actually running 4 custom projects simultaneously. I know the training video’s all reference RAM as being the limiting factor while I have found it’s actually processing power.

I did build the same pc and found the same, processor is the limiter today. Ram could be 32 gigs and it will be the same.

Fxgold54

Subscriber, bbp_participant, customer, community, sq-ultimate, 15 replies.

Visit profile

2 years ago #276910

Hey GermanMazza;

I changed the SQX memory configuration from “Let program determine max memory” to manually setting the max memory to 60 GB ( out of 64GB) and that did speed up SQX and now it is using 47% of memory.

I love the i9, although took me a few steps to get it properly cooled. I am using the Fractal design S36 AIO as a front intake and throttled down the CPU voltage to 1.25. Curious how you did/do it?

Thanks

Conxentra

Subscriber, bbp_participant, 1 replies.

Visit profile

2 years ago #277055

I tried SQX on a Ryzen 4600G with 32GB and it was too slow. I’m now looking at building either a Ryzen 5950X or an i9-12900K with 64GB RAM.

I also considered the M1 Ultra Mac Studio, but more familiar with Windows and can probably get two Windows for that price.

On the i9-12900K, how long does the PC crunch before finding the strategies? Curious to know the performance difference between the 5950X and the i9-12900K on SQX. The 5950X has more cores, so in theory it should outperform the i9-12900K as most software cannot take advantage of the extra cores and threads.

The benchmark tests show the i9-12900K outperforming the 5950X as they can’t take advantage of the extra cores.

Viewing 8 replies - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

1 2