Strategyquant and different broker server times

4 replies

Edde

Subscriber, bbp_participant, customer, community, sq-ultimate, 5 replies.

Visit profile

3 years ago #269126

Hi! I am a new Strategyquant user and rather new to algotrading in general but fairly seasoned in manual trading.

I am trying to get my head around of how to best deals with the different “server times” of various brokers when using Straegyquant. Check out these charts from 3 different brokers GBPUSD H4. These are the last candles for this week (jan 18-22,2021).

IC markets:

Perpperstone UK:

AMP Global EU:

So, we see that the Ampgobal chart is different than the other 2. Let’s compare with data in StrategyQuant (Downloaded using the software tool from Dukascopy):

So, my conclusion of this is that:

-Strategyquant and the broker AMP Global EU are using the same “server time”, which I suppose is UTC (which is the “TimeZone” specified in my Strategyquant data manager for the GBPUSD pair)

-IC Markets and Pepperstone EU are both using the same “server time” which differs from Srategyquant and AMP Global.

Suppose I did a a strategy with signal logic based on candlesticks for the 4H timeframe. As the 4H candles begins and ends on different times (confirmed aboce), I would get very different singnals if I used the same strategy on  brokers which employ the different Timezone settings (server time).

Here are my questions:

1. Is my conclusion correct?

2. What is best practices to account for brokers’ variation of server times when doing strategy development with Strategyquant?

Thanks!

Fredrik

mattedmonds

Subscriber, bbp_participant, customer, community, 45 replies.

Visit profile

3 years ago #269160

I would avoid using H4 timeframe. H1 will be close to identical across all of these brokers.

hankeys

Customer, bbp_participant, community, sq-ultimate, 487 replies.

Visit profile

3 years ago #269161

its not a question of timeframe – its a question of broker timezone

dukascopy data which we are using are UTC0, most brokers are UTC2 (EST07 with US DST), so you need to clone those data to appropriate timezone

UTC0 data will have sunday candle, UTC2 not – so withount synced time, candles will look differently – yes H1 candles will be the same, just shifted by 2 hours. But everything could count and if your strategy will be using for example building block OPEN DAILY your backtest will be different no matter which TF you use

H4 will be different – its obivous if the candle starts ahead of 2 hours OHLC values must be different

forex pairs data and their differences are pretty small

You want to be a profitable algotrader? We started using StrateQuant software in early 2014. For now we have a very big knowhow for building EAs for every possible types of markets. We share this knowhow, apps, tools and also all final strategies with real traders. If you want to join us, fill in the FORM.

hankeys

Customer, bbp_participant, community, sq-ultimate, 487 replies.

Visit profile

3 years ago #269162

solutions is simple – always clone dukascopy data to your broker timezone

and if you will have UTC1 broker and UTC2 broker you need to clone them twice

You want to be a profitable algotrader? We started using StrateQuant software in early 2014. For now we have a very big knowhow for building EAs for every possible types of markets. We share this knowhow, apps, tools and also all final strategies with real traders. If you want to join us, fill in the FORM.

Edde

Subscriber, bbp_participant, customer, community, sq-ultimate, 5 replies.

Visit profile

3 years ago #269171

Thanks for information. I want to be able to produce very similar backtests in MT4 / MT5 compared to SQX. I have successfully achieved it in both cases. Next thing to confirm is for Micro futures as well.

Here are some related goodies for other newcomers to SQX which I didn’t see until after I posted.

https://strategyquant.com/forum/topic/do-i-have-to-set-the-data-timezone-to-broker-time/

https://strategyquant.com/forum/topic/data-and-time-shifting/#

https://strategyquant.com/doc/quantdatamanager/quantdatamanager/test-strategy-metatrader-4-tick-precision/

https://strategyquant.com/doc/quantdatamanager/how-to-import-data-to-metatrader-5/

thanks

Fredrik

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)