Portfolio Doing Well

151 replies

toddone46

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 76 replies.

Visit profile

8 years ago #113755

The portfolio I developed using StrategyQuant is working very well. I started it in a live account April 1, 2015 and it is up 14% and over 1000 pips.  Drawdown is minimal at 11%, my goal is to have drawdown capped at 20%, but ideally below 15%.  Although it’s too early to conclude success after only 2 months, the strategies’ drawdowns and smooth upward performance results are indicative of the back testing and forward testing results I had.  So it’s looking real good overall.

After I made 10%, I doubled the lot size.  This is a test live account (demo account was giving different trade results than the live account so I do not want to rely on a demo account’s results).  I am using a $1,000 account with a .01 micro lot to start, and am now using a .02 micro lot, and will continue to increase as profits grow to compound the returns.

Portfolio Details:
1) EURNZD 4hr 

2) GBPJPY 5min
3) AUDNZD 4hr 
4) AUDUSD 30min
5) EURJPY 5min
6) NZDUSD 4hr 
7) GBPUSD daily

The attached pic is of when I started this portfolio in a live test account April 1, 2015.  So it has accurate readings related only to this portfolio and filters out previous results from other strategies.  I also have the entire account tracked on MYfxbook (http://www.myfxbook.com/members/PrincipAnalysis/principle-analysis-sq-portfolio/1244436) but this documents the account since its inception which distorts the data related to this portfolio since I tested a grid trading strategy before and it was very wild so I stopped using it.  You can see on the MYfxbook link that the performance became significantly smoothed out once I started using the current StrategyQuant portfolio April 1st though.

I just wanted to drop by and post my results and at least short term success in using StrategyQuant to develop my own EAs.  So far so good.  I will be back again later with an updated report.

Attachments in this forum are visible only to Customers.

geektrader

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 522 replies.

Visit profile

8 years ago #134347

Yes, that´s the point, it´s manual trading in this case, not automated.

🚀 Unlock Your Edge in Automated Forex Strategy Development 🚀

Historical Forex Data Starting From 1987, 28 Pairs, M1, 99% Error-Free, Lifetime Free Updates

matka

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 186 replies.

Visit profile

8 years ago #134348

But of course it can make money and I wish it will 🙂

RJL

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 67 replies.

Visit profile

8 years ago #134350

You’re both making assumptions on how you think this particular grid works.

For example, every grid will close automatically once a predefined dollar amount profit target is reached, based on total p/l for that entire grid. He doesn’t close them down randomly.

Anyway, I’m not going to pretend I know the ins and outs of it yet either. I was just presenting an automated, grid like system, that a friend of mine has been using all year, has survived two crashes with, and is regularly coming away with net profit.

Because he has to adjust the settings of the grid every once and while, that doesn’t make it automated? I don’t think so. It’s no different than reoptimising strategies.

But hey, I tell you how someone is making money, and cynics will always find reasons for why it won’t work for them

I don’t mean to be harsh, but if you’re not making money with automated systems, there’s a reason for that.

And as they say…

“The person who says it cannot be done, should not interrupt the person who is doing it…”

geektrader

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 522 replies.

Visit profile

8 years ago #134351

Sorry, don´t get me wrong, but your friend, just like ANY GRID out there, will lose his money. I am sorry to say that. That is, IF he leaves it running automatically! If he manually closes trades, it´s NOT a automated system – that simple. He makes his profits because he intervenes into the system by a human descicion he makes. That IS manual trading, not automated.

We are talking about fully automated systems that do their entries and exits on their own all the time, without us second guessing it´s choices. Because that´s exactly what I want to avoid with automated trading, since I am not a good manual trader at all:) So the point still stands: apart from it being a GRID, he makes his profits because he manually closes trades and that´s simply not automated trading and so has nothing in common with what we are doing here and try to achieve (FULLY automated systems that work, without any human intervention or second guessing if to close a trade or not).

🚀 Unlock Your Edge in Automated Forex Strategy Development 🚀

Historical Forex Data Starting From 1987, 28 Pairs, M1, 99% Error-Free, Lifetime Free Updates

matka

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 186 replies.

Visit profile

8 years ago #134352

“The person who says it cannot be done, should not interrupt the person who is doing it…”

Exactly. But in my opinion it is worth to know the basics when you invest funds. And manual=random, even autistic people can’t do calculations like this so fast. Manual tradig can not be considered as system unless trader is following rules 100% strictly. One small decision in the process which is outside the rules makes the whole thing random.

Patrick

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 424 replies.

Visit profile

8 years ago #134360

for Mikeyc(mainly):

unfortunately i have no equity that could make you satisfied. SQ is not so long at the market to show you 3 years equity growing. SQ is a tool which can help to earn a few tents of percent year by year with high probability(in my opinion). It is not 1000%, even not 500%.

I understand that trading systems with for example 80% winning trades is psychologicaly easier but 60% winn is the best rate i found with SQ. Average win is around 40-50% win trades, which is not so comfortibale, but it is profit and this is important. There is no holy grail. I do know people who are earning thousands percent each year only with “technical analyses” but they are great traders and great programmers. I would like to be one of them but i have to be satisfied with what i have. Because when i trade manualy, i am loosing. So i am grateful to Mark that he programm so great software and my partners who i cooperate with, because without them i have no profit. I hope you will find a way to be profitable with SQ one day. 

Patrick

Visit profile

8 years ago #134375

No, not in my mind, but in 8 years of doing this it has proven to get nowhere in the end – and that´s the same for most users who´ve messaged me the last days in private saying “I am in the same situation”. For some reason people just don´t like to admit they´ve failed in public. But honestly, after 8 years of wasted efforts with almost 10+ hours each day doing nothing else than developing automated systems in heaps of different platforms and methods throughout the years, I don´t care anymore to just being honest.

Anyhow, why talk so much, show us your profitable SQ strategy or portfolio of strategies. I´d really really love to be proven different, but I´ve read phrases like yours ever SO often on all the forums… that it is “just the next update to the platform and we can then do this and that and can then finally be profitable” (through a ever higher amount of curve matching because even more parameters can be optimized), that “it is just the current market, once it “turns”, it will all work again”, that “the portfolio is just in a typical drawdown phase right now, no way to avoid it and long term it will be profitable”….. you can add your phrase here. Honestly, I read this on each and every Forum, independent from the platform that is being used since 2006 – be it MultiCharts, Adaptrade, 1000´s of MT4 EAs, StrategyQuant, Price Action Lab, whatever…. and it´s just tiring. No one can show any good longer term live results, all the EAs on Forums you´ll find (just see for example Steve Hopwoods Forum, a complete no-bullshit one, yet, after having coded hundreds of EAs and ideas, NONE of them was nor is profitable). The best you see is some side-ways action, most often it simply is a straight and ongoing drawdown. It´s just the reality unfortunately.

But then again, let´s show some profitable longer (or even mid term, say half a year) that really go UP steadily trading LIVE – I haven´t found one here, neither on any other Forum I visit. I´d love to see it! But then again, please don´t waste our time with a latency arbitraged, unverified broker account from 2010. And if you say you haven´t breached anything ever: then what was it that made the X-thousand % there? Believe me, I smell latency arbitrage from a mile, because I am doing it as well – and the average trade length, average winner and loser size, amount of trades, pip expectancy and especially % gain in relation to drawdown and in relation to the time the account was traded and especially that it stopped trading after just a week (got busted, right?), can be nothing else than latency arbitrage. NOTHING else takes a initial deposit of $500 to $420000 in a week. But if I am wrong, why not tell us what it was and why don´t you still trade it if it was so great? If you made 420k that week in 2010, I am sure you made another 420k the next week and would be millionaire right now without any need to hang out in a Forum like here and without the need of trying to create strategies in SQ – because then you´d still be using that strategy – or what am I missing? Truly sorry for the harsh words, but that´s the typical bullcrap you come around in other Forums as well, which does nothing else than to make newbies think that the “big buck” can be made in Forex through automated trading. That´s far from the reality for 99% of these traders that go home bankrupt 2 months later and is just plain misleading them.

Posted 24 March 2015 – 09:02 AM by geektrader

SQ works for me – I think everyone defines what “works” means differently.

For me it´s the first product that gives me ALL the possibilities I was ever looking for for generating automated strategies. Do the strategies work trading live? Yes and no, just like with any strategy that was ever developed and that still works or doesn´t work anymore. Automated OR manual, it doesn´t really matter – any strategy can fail any day and you´ll NEVER EVER know when BEFORE it happens.

I am doing automated forex trading full time for the last 8 years now and I am NOT rich, but I can make a steady income from automated strategies. Sure sometimes you can get into drawdown or side-ways with your income, but the main point is to not lose to much money (surprise eh? ;)).

My advise and way of doing it is this: generate the strategies, see that they have enough trades so that you have a valid stasticial edge at lest for the backtests (for 2001 to date I only use strategies that had AT LEAST 800 trades) don´t play TO much with robustness and walk-forward etc. (just my experience as such tests never helped me anything going forward live, it made no difference!). You anyway get a feel for what works the longer you practice. Then create many of such strategies for different pairs / timeframes – create a huge portfolio with low correlating strategies (SQ displays that, so that´s an easy one)! Then put the portfolio live and over time disable the strategies that do not work anymore (for me the time to disable them is when they have exceeded their max historical backtest drawdown) with new ones you´ve discovered meanwhile. For me it´s a daily ongoing process and SQ has made it a 1000 times easier for me than it ever was before when I had to code every strategy in MQ4 and test it with the crappy and slow strategy tester.

So yes – SQ works for me!

clonex / Ivan Hudec

Customer, bbp_participant, community, sq-ultimate, contributor, author, editor, 271 replies.

Visit profile

8 years ago #134401

Posted 24 March 2015 – 09:02 AM by geektrader

SQ works for me – I think everyone defines what “works” means differently.

For me it´s the first product that gives me ALL the possibilities I was ever looking for for generating automated strategies. Do the strategies work trading live? Yes and no, just like with any strategy that was ever developed and that still works or doesn´t work anymore. Automated OR manual, it doesn´t really matter – any strategy can fail any day and you´ll NEVER EVER know when BEFORE it happens.

I am doing automated forex trading full time for the last 8 years now and I am NOT rich, but I can make a steady income from automated strategies. Sure sometimes you can get into drawdown or side-ways with your income, but the main point is to not lose to much money (surprise eh? ;)).

My advise and way of doing it is this: generate the strategies, see that they have enough trades so that you have a valid stasticial edge at lest for the backtests (for 2001 to date I only use strategies that had AT LEAST 800 trades) don´t play TO much with robustness and walk-forward etc. (just my experience as such tests never helped me anything going forward live, it made no difference!). You anyway get a feel for what works the longer you practice. Then create many of such strategies for different pairs / timeframes – create a huge portfolio with low correlating strategies (SQ displays that, so that´s an easy one)! Then put the portfolio live and over time disable the strategies that do not work anymore (for me the time to disable them is when they have exceeded their max historical backtest drawdown) with new ones you´ve discovered meanwhile. For me it´s a daily ongoing process and SQ has made it a 1000 times easier for me than it ever was before when I had to code every strategy in MQ4 and test it with the crappy and slow strategy tester.

So yes – SQ works for me!

Lol

Odoslané z SM-G900F pomocou Tapatalku

mikeyc

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 877 replies.

Visit profile

7 years ago #136802

Geektrader, Patrick and others.

Any update on success?  Has SQ delivered anything that is making money?

Has Asirikuy delivered anything?

Or are we all just kidding ourselves?

Threshold

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 723 replies.

Visit profile

7 years ago #136806

After a few years of owning SQ, I’m still learning it and use it regularly and read loads of Quant books and papers. As I look back on some of the shitty strategies I made, I know they were all MY fault. Not the software’s and not the market’s fault (lol).The last year and especially the last 6 months I’ve finally been getting really robust results that work on multiple pairs and timeframes all the way back to 1986. I still also run 2 EURUSD strategies that are about 2 years old now that are still well within their historical accuracy. I ‘almost’ wish SQ3 now would stay longer because I know when my portfolio starts hitting newer highs people are gona think the credit goes to SQ4 but my latest 3 robust strategies all came out of SQ3 these last few months. I am realizing SQ3’s strategy “template”/”structure” (like simple filter longer term rsi>50 with a buy stop a certain distance away) are incredibly simple and robust techniques and genius in a lot of ways by Marc. I seen Andrea Unger and especially Kevin Davey use basically the same techniques. You will find in SQ4 since it much more complicated and can make more sophisticated strategies far more curve-fitting and will have to be *even more careful*. It will be just as hard in some ways.

Patrick

Visit profile

7 years ago #136828

i think i need little bit more time, portfolio can be ready at the end of this year i hope. i think i am on a good waY.

Edinho

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 36 replies.

Visit profile

7 years ago #136847

Hi guys..I have got 8 portfolios and only 2 of them are in small loss.All others are in profit and depending on the risk they delivering interesting results.

http://www.myfxbook.com/members/ASGroup/mixed-portfolio/1513218

Patrick

Visit profile

7 years ago #136848

Hi guys..I have got 8 portfolios and only 2 of them are in small loss.All others are in profit and depending on the risk they delivering interesting results.

http://www.myfxbook.com/members/ASGroup/mixed-portfolio/1513218

Yes i have many demo accounts in profit  😆  😆  😆  only real results are counted. i think there is many demo millionaires here.

tnickel

Customer, bbp_participant, community, sq-ultimate, 484 replies.

Visit profile

7 years ago #137234

Hi Edinho,

you you run some EAs on Realaccount ?

Your demoaccount looks good. But sometimes the trades on realaccount are different.

thomas

https://monitortool.jimdofree.com/

Edinho

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 36 replies.

Visit profile

7 years ago #137239

Hi

I know that execution differs from demo and real account….this is only an illustration of my results…part of my workflow is  – 1 full year of testing strategies being  exposed to “real” market behaviour…

Viewing 15 replies - 136 through 150 (of 151 total)

1 2 3 9 10 11