Portfolio Doing Well

151 replies

toddone46

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 76 replies.

Visit profile

8 years ago #113755

The portfolio I developed using StrategyQuant is working very well. I started it in a live account April 1, 2015 and it is up 14% and over 1000 pips.  Drawdown is minimal at 11%, my goal is to have drawdown capped at 20%, but ideally below 15%.  Although it’s too early to conclude success after only 2 months, the strategies’ drawdowns and smooth upward performance results are indicative of the back testing and forward testing results I had.  So it’s looking real good overall.

After I made 10%, I doubled the lot size.  This is a test live account (demo account was giving different trade results than the live account so I do not want to rely on a demo account’s results).  I am using a $1,000 account with a .01 micro lot to start, and am now using a .02 micro lot, and will continue to increase as profits grow to compound the returns.

Portfolio Details:
1) EURNZD 4hr 

2) GBPJPY 5min
3) AUDNZD 4hr 
4) AUDUSD 30min
5) EURJPY 5min
6) NZDUSD 4hr 
7) GBPUSD daily

The attached pic is of when I started this portfolio in a live test account April 1, 2015.  So it has accurate readings related only to this portfolio and filters out previous results from other strategies.  I also have the entire account tracked on MYfxbook (http://www.myfxbook.com/members/PrincipAnalysis/principle-analysis-sq-portfolio/1244436) but this documents the account since its inception which distorts the data related to this portfolio since I tested a grid trading strategy before and it was very wild so I stopped using it.  You can see on the MYfxbook link that the performance became significantly smoothed out once I started using the current StrategyQuant portfolio April 1st though.

I just wanted to drop by and post my results and at least short term success in using StrategyQuant to develop my own EAs.  So far so good.  I will be back again later with an updated report.

Attachments in this forum are visible only to Customers.

clonex / Ivan Hudec

Customer, bbp_participant, community, sq-ultimate, contributor, author, editor, 271 replies.

Visit profile

8 years ago #134178

Geektrader ,

you wrote in 23.august 2015

Sorry mate, but that´s all blah blah and good and old grey theory! All my strategies that SQ has found and that I have additionally curve matched to the GREATEST degree, DO work nicely going forward for months:) All I am making sure is to re-optimize them steadily, but always on the full set of data for each pair (14 years in my case).

So don´t worry about what someone thinks will NOT work, just go ahead and try yourself, that´s the best you can do. Don´t stick with the nay-sayers and grey theory, you are just wasting your time in which you could have created good strategies:)”

and another comic post:

Smarter or not, I don´t care. I make money the way I described to you, that´s all that counts in the end, that´s what we are all here for, not what someone says should theoretical NOT work. So you can stick to finding theoretical reasons and hypothesis why SQ won´t work for you, or you follow my method (or the method of many others here) and make some money.”

What has changed???

matka

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 186 replies.

Visit profile

8 years ago #134179

It is actually unofficial real money world record and officially first which can not be beaten 😉 That is because deposit was a broker’s promo for opening an account, so gainwise it was infiniti 😉

I am not saying that how you want to achievie it is possible, I don’t even know what you want to achieve. For some one week like this is enough forever, some want something different. If I can produce strategy which works for one month, it is enough for me. Not because it can earn some money with it but because I know how to do that. I think this is a good starter for anyone.

I still don’t understand why whould I share any information you demand, please explain.

mikeyc

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 877 replies.

Visit profile

8 years ago #134181

I’m not really understanding Geektrader’s change of heart, but I do agree with his conclusions.  Where’s the verified proof.

My personal view is making money using technical analysis (which is what SQ is trying to data mine) ALONE doesn’t work.  All the “indicators” are just functions on past prices. No trading system can make money, consistently, without big drawdowns, using just price data, not matter how clever you are.  If price is a winding road, it’s like trying to drive a car forwards whilst only being allowed to look out of the rear window to see where the road has been.

I got into forex trading many years ago for “easy money”, lured by 100’s of get rich systems peddled by snake oil salesman. You know, make a million in a year, trading a few hours a day when you feel like it.  I’ve spent 10 hours a day too, proving a similar conclusion to geektrader.  There’s no easy money, no magic system or holy grail. 

I think of smart people like Daniel Fernandez using every more sophisticated maths and algorithms at Mechanical Forex.  Surely he would be retired now on a private island.  Years of phd level research into trading.

Perhaps it just better to find something else or trade something else.

Patrick

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 424 replies.

Visit profile

8 years ago #134189

it is possible. i have a strategy for H1 which “is rising” also at all other time frames. M1, M5, M15, M30, H1, H4, D1.

Why this strategy should not work? Based on technical analyses.

mikeyc

Visit profile

8 years ago #134190

it is possible. i have a strategy for H1 which “is rising” also at all other time frames. M1, M5, M15, M30, H1, H4, D1.

Why this strategy should not work? Based on technical analyses.

In real trading.  I have hundreds of strategies that look good on paper.  Trade them with widening spread, slippage with real money.  Do they make money with low drawdown?

Post some verified myfxbook strategies that use technical analysis that make money.  In theory, if TA works, there should be thousands out there all making money.

PS I still believe it is possible to build a system that can trade and make money, but not based just on past prices.  The system needs to know the bigger economic picture, the sentiment going forward, economic events that have just happened and those that are about to happen.  Like the US Interest Rate decision on Wednesday 16th December. 

matka

Visit profile

8 years ago #134206

I think prices are enough but to be honest, you can use any time series, no matter corellated or not, random or not and succesfully predict future market prices. There are more important factors than input data.

matka

Visit profile

8 years ago #134207

Patrick, your charts show what could happen in the past if you folowed some algorithm.
It never happened but you can investigate what whould happen if you continue to do the same. And again, and again.

seaton

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 161 replies.

Visit profile

8 years ago #134278

@geektrader

A rather timely article considering our discussion earlier

http://mechanicalforex.com/2015/12/using-openkantu-in-practice-is-old-forex-data-irrelevant-in-todays-market-an-evidence-based-look.html

Regards,

Stephen

geektrader

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 522 replies.

Visit profile

8 years ago #134279

Yes, I know this one already, I am a reader of his blog. Yet where are his live results which underline his theories apart from backtests? Asking him, he won´t give any out and says the community is not about that and doesn´t need to show anything. Where did I hear such things before? Where are the results beside all the theoretical analysis and backtests which SHOULD work into the future?

🚀 Unlock Your Edge in Automated Forex Strategy Development 🚀

Historical Forex Data Starting From 1987, 28 Pairs, M1, 99% Error-Free, Lifetime Free Updates

mikeyc

Visit profile

8 years ago #134280

Yes, I know this one already, I am a reader of his blog. Yet where are his live results which underline his theories apart from backtests? Asking him, he won´t give any out and says the community is not about that and doesn´t need to show anything. Where did I hear such things before? Where are the results beside all the theoretical analysis and backtests which SHOULD work into the future?

I suspect that, it is better to show no real results than bad results.  If he had a myfxbook page showing money lost, no one would sign up.  If he could show me money being made, I’d sign up like a shot.

seaton

Visit profile

8 years ago #134281

As a Member I have access to a number of strategies he has running on live test accounts some good, some ok, some in drawdown.  He reports weekly on these as well as some portfolios made up of the mined strategies in his news letter so results are not hidden in any way.  MyFx Results are all available to all Members.

mikeyc

Visit profile

8 years ago #134282

As a Member I have access to a number of strategies he has running on live test accounts some good, some ok, some in drawdown.  He reports weekly on these as well as some portfolios made up of the mined strategies in his news letter so results are not hidden in any way.  MyFx Results are all available to all Members.

How far back do his strategies go? How has the 2015 faired?  I see lots of strategies having a bad time this year….

geektrader

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 522 replies.

Visit profile

8 years ago #134288

Why is it such a big secret then to show them to potential clients? I am not shelling out $260 just for nice words of that it is supposed to work. And why are you here using SQ then if his stuff makes money? I really think he is a great guy, but without seeing any live results I am not buying into anything as I honestly believe that if it would go so well, he would share that success and not even need subscribers to pay for his site.

🚀 Unlock Your Edge in Automated Forex Strategy Development 🚀

Historical Forex Data Starting From 1987, 28 Pairs, M1, 99% Error-Free, Lifetime Free Updates

seaton

Visit profile

8 years ago #134290

@Geektrader  I’m not sure why, but I think the reasoning is that he’s not selling EA’s

@mikeyC  of the ones I monitor most are +10%  a few sideways, and some down.  

For me my membership is not his EA’s but the knowledge being shared, the tools, the historical data (minute data back to 1987) and the forums.  There is also a huge video archive full of great stuff he’s created over the years, same goes for his weekly newsletter archive.   I’ve been a member for nearly 4 years now and yes it can be expensive for the first year but ongoing is much less (from memory), plus for me is a tax deduction.  

I think this membership is more to sort the wheat from the chaff so to speak.  

I think the quality of his public blog speaks for him as they are always well thought out and backed up with evidence based results. 

So for me I get value from my membership, for others they may not.

Stephen…

stearno

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 379 replies.

Visit profile

8 years ago #134312

I joined as well, and I have to confirm what Seaton is saying is absolutely correct.  It is top quality material.  As he says, he did not start the membership to sell EA’s, but to work together with the comunity to learn how to build EA’s.

-Stearno

Viewing 15 replies - 106 through 120 (of 151 total)

1 2 3 7 8 9 10 11