PC setups, configurations, benchmarks and general recommendations

127 replies

ivan

Subscriber, bbp_participant, community, 236 replies.

Visit profile

4 years ago #250166

Because the interest is high among new users of SQX (i saw many topics with the same goal), i thought it would be a good idea to concentrate everything hardware related in one topic where new users but also more experienced ones, can easely find in one place what they are looking for. What to buy, what configuration, air or liquid cooled…etc.

This topic is designed to help users in choosing the most apropriate hardware configuration according to their budget, a new computer or an upgrade. Also, posting benchmarks for processors, general raw performance benchmarks as a guide but also examples of settings in SQX and the resulting performance for others to have an idea what expectations they can have from a certain processor.

I am sure the contribution of the more experienced users will be greatly appreciated by everyone.

For starters, in the following days and weeks, i will post different results (pairs and timeframes) on my configuration, an AMD 3700X (3,6Ghz 8 cores) and 32GB RAM.

To be relevant, we can agree on a minimum criteria, for example, each setting must be run at least 24 hours, and we can agree to count the accepted strategies/hour (in databank).

Timisoara, Romania
3900X 3.8 Ghz 12 cores, 64GB RAM DDR4 3000Mhz, Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 NVMe

ivan

Visit profile

4 years ago #254978

48-49C on CPU in continuous full load. But..this is reached in a very “artificial” environment, in the middle of the winter with -5C outside and an open door unheated warehouse

i also had 42C with a bit more aggressive settings (bigger fan speed) but that’s not necessary

the only noteworthy mention is that this is an air cooled pc case system

Attachments:
You must be logged in to view attached files.

Timisoara, Romania

sbecm

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 35 replies.

Visit profile

4 years ago #255072

Using attached build i got  1,140,233

On Threadripper 1950x

3.4Ghz 16 cores, 32gb ram DDR4 3200Mhz

ivan

Visit profile

4 years ago #255073

yes, that would be in line with general CPU-Z score also

3700X – 756.254 strategies/hour and 5471 CPU-Z score

TR1950X – 1.140.233 strategies/hour and 8864 CPU-Z score

thank you

Timisoara, Romania

ivan

Visit profile

4 years ago #255104

i have found an interesting information about 3950X

the 3950X is the latest, very recently launched CPU, two months ago in November, the most powerful Ryzen 9 on AM4 socket, it has a base of 3.5 Ghz and 16 cores, costs around $800. A complete system with this CPU has around 220W in full load.

before launch, many have speculated that most likely a liquid cooling would be mandatory but a few days ago on AMD forum, users who purchased it, reported that it works decently with a large air cooler if the ambient temperature is not too high.

The CPU itself, it is expensive but i attach once again the top chart to make an idea how powerful this CPU is. The major advantage of a configuration around this CPU is that AM4 motherboards are very cheap and god air coolers are also much cheaper than premium liquid coolers, so in the end, one can obtain a system which is reasonably priced but very powerful.

Attachments:
You must be logged in to view attached files.

Timisoara, Romania

sbecm

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 35 replies.

Visit profile

4 years ago #255113

Hi Ivan,

I agree with what you have said, im able to cool my Threadripper with a Noctua Air Cooler easily even at full load.

So the newer generation chips would run cooler i would hope.

ivan

Visit profile

4 years ago #255118

regarding Threadrippers, indeed, there are a few scenarios where air cooling is a solid choice

i will look for an upgrade until this summer, the objective being doubling the performance. This would be a minimum reasonable motive to upgrade, at least doubling. It doesnt make sense if the upgrade doesnt at least double the performance (CPU-Z multi core score).

speaking of Threadrippers, i would advise beginners in SQ not to invest from the start in such systems for economic reason only. Most, will underestimate the complexity and will expect too much too soon and they will never earn the money back from the system and electricity bill. Thatis, unless some very experienced samaritan will give them configuration files for free. Otherwise, most, after 6 months or a year, will wronfuly blame the software in fustration.

With systems over $3.000, 10.000 points in CPU-Z and some 200 kw monthly electricity bill, you have to know exactly, in great detail, what to generate, the second you boot up the system. Only very experienced users can use in profit such systems.

Timisoara, Romania

ivan

Visit profile

4 years ago #255240

after extensive tests on different pairs and timeframes, i would say the 3700X (or anything equivalent with CPU-Z score of 5400 – 5500) is not enough to have a decent performance (to obtain decent performing strategies in a decent timeframe, a few days).

in the last months, on local OLX sites (like a smaller ebay), a sealed box 3700X is around 230 EUR, which to be honest, is cheap.

I would say that something like 3900X with a CPU-Z score of 8400 is the minimum. Anything less would either take weeks to get a solid databank, or get too weak strategies.

Last but not least, with just a 3700X, smaller timeframes like M15 and most M30 (which interest most traders) are simply out of reach on majors, not to mentions crosses or exotic. So to get good strategies on M15, one needs at least a 3900X which is around 400 EUR on local OLX sites

Timisoara, Romania

ivan

Visit profile

4 years ago #255242

i forgot to mention in the post above that the good news is the 4000 Ryzen are getting closer to launch and those processors will offer the performance required for a decent price and power consumption (being fully compatible with current AM4 motherboards.

Timisoara, Romania

ivan

Visit profile

4 years ago #255389

there would be an important issue, hardware related, which i think its important to notice or to acknowledge but before i lay down the idea, i must say this is my personal opinion

with middle range, ordinary processors, the best result are too simple strategies which have two major disadvantages. One is low performance, 30 – 50 pips/trade, the number of pips per month differs with the timeframe. Second, most of the time, the stop loss is put in a too obvious and vulnerable position (at simple strategies), meaning the market price rises just enough to activate the trade and then drops, never to return, and this happens for many pairs and timeframes so these are not unrelated coincidences. This means that on the other side of the market, there are other more complex trades made, which are already counter attack these simple strategies.

But more complex strategies, need very powerful processors. I dont have concrete evidence that complex strategies work better (i am using common sense), but i do have proof that very simple strategies are simply too weak on longer term on a real account although the backtests and real life test on cent accounts do look lets say acceptable.

A second option would be manually edit and improve the EA but this is out of reach for beginners and even middle experienced traders because it requires special skills in syntax but also deep knowledge in trading.

Its very important for me to underline that its not a software problem, it doesn’t anything have to do with SQ which works perfectly. Its about the fact that the market it self progresses and by the time goes by, more and more complex strategies are needed.

Even those simple strategies work but you need dozens of them in a portfolio and the profit in a year would resemble more the interest you get from a bank

Timisoara, Romania

ivan

Visit profile

4 years ago #256633

As a precaution on a long term and this is only for budget to mainstream custom build, new, PC configurations, it is advisable to check and wherever possible to make sure the system supports 128GB of memory. This can be easily done before buying, to check the processor and the motherboard specification if they support 128GB of memory.

It is better to have the infrastructure in place, in case the user will choose to generate a wide range of strategies. This precaution doesn’t apply to high end configuration where is almost guaranteed that both the processor and the motherboard support 128GB.

It certain situation, it might be necessary to add, not 64GB but a module of 8 or 16GB, in addition to the existent 64GB.

Timisoara, Romania

ivan

Visit profile

4 years ago #256769

AMD Zen 3 processors will arrive by March 2021 at the latest

https://www.techradar.com/news/amd-zen-3-processors-will-arrive-by-march-2021-at-the-latest

For the whole 2020 or at least until fall, a Ryzen 7 3700X or 3800X is the best choice for higher timeframes like H4, D1 and H1 in some easier pairs. For lower timeframes like M15, M30, something more powerful is nedeed, Ryzen 9 3900X or 3950X.

For the power supply, choose a 500 – 700W, more recent platform from the 3 major manufacturers, Seasonic, FSP Fortron and Super Flower. The platform can have several topologies, half bridge or full bridge….etc. The full bridge is used for higher wattages like 1000W and above. There is a fourth, CWT (channel well) but it depends on the platform. But i think Seasonic is the safest choice.

Timisoara, Romania

Gianfranco

Subscriber, bbp_participant, customer, community, 114 replies.

Visit profile

4 years ago #256772

hi ivan…..what do you think of the best price ratio between the 3900x and the 3950x  ?

thanks gianfranco

p.s.

I’d be curious to see what i can do with a 64 cores cpu….

ivan

Visit profile

4 years ago #256773

taking as a reference the prices on amazon Italy, the 3900X would be a better deal financially. For 3950X, you pay 40% more for just 25% increase in performance.

The 3900X is around 500 EUR and has 8399 points in CPU-Z multiscore and 3950X is 840 EUR and has 11.098 points..

3900X has 12 cores, and 3950X has 16 cores. For a 64 core processor, you have to buy the Threadripper 3990X which is 4.000 EUR.

However, this type of comparison is made by gamers who dont earn money by using a processor. In generating strategies, given the fact that the performance will return profit, i think those 25% increase will earn back more than the 40% in price, assuming the user knows what to generate for.

The main difference between 3900X and 3950X will be in the cooling system. The 3900X can be safely used with a good air cooler but the 3950X requires liquid cooling, more expensive than air cooling. I read about cooling on 3950X and air cooling works only in the winter in Europe. In summer, its too hot

Timisoara, Romania

Gianfranco

Subscriber, bbp_participant, customer, community, 114 replies.

Visit profile

4 years ago #256778

I have seen that there are also interesting offers with epyc (16 cores) but obviously the whole system costs more..and the frequencies are lower

ivan

Visit profile

4 years ago #256779

EPYC is not relevant for an SQ generating desktop. The platform has features which are useless for SQ such as more PCIe lanes, maximum memory of 4TB…etc.

Besides, the motherboards with SP3 socket are E-ATX, meaning extended ATX, larger and need larger cases. Also the coolers for the processors are also limited. All these add to a unnecessary cost.

Also the performance will be comparable with the regular desktop because the microarchitecture is the same.

Timisoara, Romania

Viewing 15 replies - 46 through 60 (of 127 total)

1 2 3 4 5 7 8 9