Last updated on 7. 1. 2019 by Tomas Vanek
Introduction – What is StrategyQuant
What is StrategyQuant?
StrategyQuant is a powerful strategy generation and research platform. It is a program that:
- Automatically generates new unique trading strategies for virtually any asset – forex, stocks, futures or ETFs
- Retests / Reoptimizes the strategies with different markets or settings
- Performs advanced cross checks (strategy robustness tests) to ensure that strategies have real market edge
By using StrategyQuant, you can find profitable trading strategies for virtually any market, any timeframe and any chart type. No programming or trading knowledge is required.
The resulting strategies can be saved with complete source code as a code that you can run on the supported trading platforms – like MetaTrader 4 / 5.
With StrategyQuant you can:
- Generate an unlimited number of unique trading strategies for virtually any market or timeframe
- Save your strategies as a MetaTrader 4 / 5 Expert Advisor Tradestation or Ninja Trader strategy with full source code – please note that for now we are working on support for MT4 /5 in SQ X, other trading platforms will follow shortly.
- Eliminate the manual labor previously required when developing a trading strategy
- Find new trading strategies that are not only unique, but also non-obvious
- Reduce the time required to build a strategy from weeks and months to minutes!
- Improve your existing strategies
- Optimize your strategies and find the best parameters
- Test your strategies for robustness and analyze their performance
Is StrategyQuant Right for You?
If you trade using automatic trading system (called also robots or Expert Advisors) or you plan to develop your own trading strategies, then StrategyQuant can save you money and hundreds of hours of your time.
Some traders prefer to purchase an existing trading robot; there is a multitude of offers especially for Forex.
While this can be an effective way, by purchasing someone’s forex robot you are usually purchasing a black box – you don’t know how it works, what are the exact rules and you are at mercy of its creator with potential adaptations to changed market conditions.
StrategyQuant allows you to create your own trading strategies, exportable to a plain Expert Advisor source code, so you have full control over your strategy.
What If You Are a Manual Trader?
You can still use for StrategyQuant to generate the trading ideas. You’ll be surprised to find many profitable strategies based on relatively simple rules that you wouldn’t think of.
Every strategy that is created by StrategyQuant can be exported to readable pseudo code with full description of the trading rules and can be traded also manually.
What to Expect
Please keep in mind that StrategyQuant is a powerful tool, but it is not a magic box that will start making you money with a click on a button. It has to be used in the right way to get the results.
Generating new strategies in StrategyQuant is only about 50% of the work.
The rest of the work has to go into evaluating the generated strategies to filter out the ones that are curve fitted or not robust enough.
It is up to you to evaluate your new strategies properly and know their strengths, weaknesses and limitations before you put them to live trading.
It can easily happen that only 1 out of 1000 the profitable strategies generated by StrategyQuant strategies passes the rigorous robustness tests and we can consider using it for live trading.
But – the number of strategies we can generate is almost endless, so even 1% of infinity is a pretty big number 🙂
There are few steps to evaluate the strategies quality and measure how good they will be in real live trading.
Please read the Cross checks – automated strategy robustness tests section for more information.